20060719

on Heroines

I have to say, I'm so freaking sick of the idea of the heroine as a sex object. Yes, I am a guy. Hard to believe? I guess I would just like to think of us as a species that has progressed past such base ideas. I guess the problem is that guys write most of this stuff- movies, comics, video games, etc. and they know that it appeals to the primal urges of the male audience.

Take a look at the male heroes in popular culture. There's some damn ugly guys been saving the world since the beginning of 'pop culture.' John Wayne could've been your dad who came home drunk and smacked you around when you pissed him off, Sylvester Stallone generally plays a monosyllabic cro-magnon meathead, and Wolverine looks like a damn lumberjack. But the girls are always bombshells. It pains me, the realization that we will probably never progress past this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home